Monday, February 3, 2014

Jamaica: Day 3


The last day in Jamaica was spent in Portmore. I spent that time with a local man, Winston, who was manager at a local fast food restaurant. Portmore is a suburb of Kingston and has a population 98,000. In the morning, Winston and I walked downtown. He told me that Portmore is more modern than other Jamaican cities, yet it still shares the same culture as the rest of the country. Secondly, he told me that in the city American fast-food restaurants and shopping centers are popular. He also said without the jobs the restaurants and stores provided, he didn’t know what he would do. Also he said that went for most of the people in Portmore. After day’s work, we headed home late to eat dinner. Then we went to the Portmore Festival that hosts concerts throughout the year. We paid the cheap fee and enjoyed Jamaican music. Most of the songs were songs made by Bob Marley, a famous Jamaican musician. Some people throw colorful beads and confetti from balconies and I was lucky enough to catch a beaded necklace. After the Portmore Festival we walked back home. My time in Jamaica was up. Overall, I felt the companionship and the friendliness of the Jamaican people.
Statue of Bob Marely

No comments:

Post a Comment