Monday, February 3, 2014

Chile: Day 3


My last day in Chile was spent in Temuco. Temuco is a city with a population of about 270,000. Temuco is located near the western border of Chile south of Valparaiso. The city is currently the capital of La Araucania region in southern Chile. I spent my time in Temuco with a man named Jorge and his wife. Jorge’s occupation was working for the government. Their house was very simple. It was a one floor house with a kitchen, two bedrooms. Jorge was a worker in the Chilean service industry. On the way to work he explained to me that the service activities make up a good percentage of the economy. We arrived at his government office. I was told it was common for Chileans to work in the government. My friend’s job was to organize and arrange fund raisers and gatherings. My job was to deliver files and messages to the other workers. At midday there was a short fifteen minute break. At the end of the day, I was exhausted from moving from one level to the other, but I was glad to have helped. At home Jorge’s wife had prepared dinner. We had a beef stew served with rice, in a warm broth.
Temuco

No comments:

Post a Comment